Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Find Your Pulse

Photo from USA.gov
“Find your pulse.”

Though it seemed odd, I felt God saying those words to me during my prayer time. So using two fingers, and applying gentle pressure along the side of my throat, I found the rhythmic thump, thump, thump of my heartbeat.

“Ok. I found it. Now what, Lord?” I asked.

“What did you have to do to find your heartbeat?” He questioned.

I thought about that for a bit. There were several steps I had to take to hear my pulse:

Stop my movements.
Quiet my thoughts.
Center my fingertips on the right spot
Listen closely.

And then it dawned on me; If I take those steps spiritually, I will connect with Jesus, the Heartbeat of my soul:

Stop my movements: “Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10)
Quiet my thoughts: “Take every thought captive.” (2 Corinthians 10:5)
Center on Jesus: "Focus on Jesus, the source and goal of our faith." (Hebrews 12:2)
Listen closely: "Pay close attention to what you hear. The closer you listen, the more understanding you will be given—and you will receive even more." (Mark 4:24)

Often the hustle and bustle of life muffles our spiritual pulse. Let’s set aside time today to stop and be quiet as we center entirely on Jesus. Will you join me in listening closely for the Heartbeat of our souls?

Blessings!
Pam

©2014 Pamela D. Williams