Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Souvenirs


Ah, vacation . . . (contented sigh) . . . that’s where we are this week. Our son recently moved within half an hour of Virginia Beach, VA, so we are blessed to be visiting family AND hopefully will get to wiggle our toes in the Atlantic ocean!

Like every other ocean-side town, Virginia Beach has its share of souvenir shops. Racks overflow with tees, sweatshirts, and hats boasting the locale. Bracelets and necklaces dangling tiny beach-themed trinkets, pretty rocks and pearly shells, and a myriad of mugs, water bottles, and other items for customers to buy on impulse (and then donate to thrift stores and next year’s church flea markets), fill the shelves.

I rarely buy any souvenirs, but there are keepsakes I want to be sure to take home with me to treasure later—the memories of moments spent laughing over a board game with my granddaughter, savoring a delicious bite of seafood, strolling hand-in-hand with my sweetheart, a long hug with my first-born, chit chatting with my daughter-in-law over a cup of tea.

All of these mementos cost nothing but are invaluable to me. Even if I fail to capture them in a snapshot, I can relish the snippets of time spent with loved ones over and over. I consider them precious gifts from God whose worth far exceeds any relic I might drag home in my suitcase.

Praying you all find a few of these priceless souvenirs this week, my friends!



Blessings!
Pam

©2017 Pamela D. Williams