Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Regrets?

photo by Gillian Hamsher

Daddy and I were cut from different bolts of cloth. I don’t remember ever sitting down and just talking. Our conversation always drifted too quickly to subjects that one of us found uncomfortable. So, to avoid upsets, Daddy and I simply kept our thoughts to ourselves, and stayed to safe, short-lived topics like the weather, kids, sports, TV shows, and pets.

What would I have enjoyed talking with him about?


  • What was it like being the youngest of eleven children?
  • Were you doted on by older siblings?
  • Were you closer to your mom or your dad?
  • You often wished you had used your GI Bill to go to college and become a teacher. What changed your dream?
  • You always went to church when I was little. Who took you to church as a kid? What happened that you stopped going as an adult?
  • When I was a kid you took us ice skating, swimming, and to Licking Creek to picnic and play ball. We vacationed somewhere many summers. So, what made you become such a "homebody” the last 30 years of your life?

Guess I’ll never know. But that’s okay. Daddy and I loved each other. And when it’s all said and done, that’s what matters.

Above all, love each other deeply,
because love covers over a multitude of sins.
1 Peter 4:8

©2012 Pamela D. Williams