Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Unconditional Love

"May your roots go down deep into the soil of God's marvelous love.
And may you have the power to understand,
as all God's people should, how wide,
how long, how high, and how deep his love really is."
Ephesians 3:17-18

Sweat trickled down my neck and beaded on my forehead. As I rounded the last turn on my usual morning walking route, my house came into view—a beckoning oasis on this humid morning.

I kicked off my shoes just inside the door and peeled my outer shirt up over my head. Ahh . . . Thank You, Lord, for air conditioning.

In the few moments that I stood there, our cat Baxter meandered over and rubbed against my legs. “You don’t want to get too close to me, buddy. I need a shower,” I told him, bending down to stroke his sleek, silky head.

But Baxter didn’t care. He continued to wind around my legs, looking up at me with pleading eyes and his characteristic soundless meow. Finally, I gave in and picked him up.

Heedless of my damp skin and sweat-laden tank top, Baxter nestled against my shoulder, gripping my upper arm with his front paws. He breathed a sigh and closed his eyes, purring in contentment.

I, on the other hand, felt disgusting. I probably would have scared even my husband away with my red face and wild, Phyllis Diller hairdo. I am sure glad I am the only person home. No one would want to be close to me right now.

In answer to my thoughts, Baxter gripped my shoulder a bit tighter. Nuzzling him close I realized, Baxter doesn’t mind. He accepts me just the way I am.

Suddenly I heard God speaking directly to my heart. That’s how I accept you, Pam. I want to be close to you. I don’t even take note of your outward appearance; I look at your heart. I take you as you are.

A deep sense of comfort and love welled up in my heart and overflowed down my cheeks. I thanked God for revealing His truth to me through the simple actions of my feline friend, Baxter.

©2012 Pamela D. Williams