Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Perfect Moments in Time

photo by John Keogh
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey.
It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again."
Captain Jean-Luc Picard—Star Trek: Generations

How many of us think of time as a fellow sojourner who thoughtfully nudges us to make the most of life? We are more likely to view time as a harsh taskmaster to be outwitted. We rush from one thought to another, one place to another, and one activity to another, without really savoring each flavor-filled moment and imprinting its pricelessness on our memories. The following conversation from the movie, Star Trek: Insurrection gave me pause:

Anij: Have you ever experienced a perfect moment in time?

Captain Picard: A perfect moment?

Anij: When time seemed to stop, and you could almost live, in that moment.

Captain Picard: Seeing my home planet from space, for the first time.

Anij: Yes. Exactly. Nothing more complicated than perception. We’ve discovered that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself, full of powerful forces. Most people aren’t aware enough of the now to even notice.

This conversation made me wonder, when was the last time I paused to fully consider the 60 seconds of time I was currently experiencing?

Being honest, I rarely stop to become fully aware of what is really going on right around me. God could just as well have been admonishing me when he said to Job, “Pause a moment and listen; consider the wonderful things God does. (Job 37:14)

We miss many blessings when we fail to hit the “Pause” button in life. Thankfully, writing helps me to absorb and value moments in time. Here are a few of the perfect, savory moments God has used to teach me life lessons:

Snowflakes softly meander earthward to transform bare branches and trampled, faded grasses into a winter wonderland, frosty flake by frosty flake. Together we CAN make a difference.

Gently kissing Baxter on the soft, sweet spot atop his head, I breathe in his warm, clean, cat-scent, redolent with cozy comfort. A kiss, a hug, a whispered word are all it takes to show love.

A cacophony of bird songs welcomes the dawn. As the sky brightens avian voices grow quiet. A hush falls as fire streaks across the sky. Am I awed into silence by the presence of God?
.
What moments in time have you captured? What has God taught you through them? Feel free to share in the comments section. I would love to hear from you.

©2013 Pamela D. Williams