Wednesday, October 2, 2013

How Do You De-Stress?

Photo by Lewis Ronald on Wikimedia Commons
Both the good and the bad in our lives create stress. Graduations, weddings, and births fill our hearts to overflowing with joy and our lives with laughter, but they also drain us emotionally. Disagreements, conflicts, and grief not only sap our strength, they wear us down and leave us equally drained and vulnerable.

Where can we turn to recharge and renew our spirits?

Talk to God: "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. "
(Philippians 4:6)
Anxiety and worry themselves are exhausting! Talking things over with God allows me to get a better perspective. Thanking Him shows me the ways that He is already intervening in the situation.

Read God's Word: "The law of the Lord is perfect; it gives new strength. The commands of the Lord are trustworthy, giving wisdom to those who lack it."
(Psalm 19:7)
Packed between the covers of God's book I have found advice, comfort, insight, and sometimes a kick in the pants. When I make the time (something that can be difficult during busy seasons of my life), God will speak through His Word.

Look at creation: Ever since God created the world, his invisible qualities, both his eternal power and his divine nature, have been clearly seen; they are perceived in the things that God has made.
(Romans 1:20)
Five minutes on my back porch will lower my stress level significantly. Why? Because there are so many reminders of God's presence and perfect plan there--the squirrels, the birds, the caterpillars, the flowers, the trees, the sunshine, the breeze--the list could go on and on. God cares about all these things He has created and He even cares about me.

Share with a friend: Two are better off than one, because together they can work more effectively. If one of them falls down, the other can help him up.
(Ecclesiastes 4:9-10)
I don't know about you, but I need friends--someone to listen, someone to hug me, someone to say, "I understand" or "You are right" or even, "Have you considered this?"

In the midst of tense situations, whether they are happy, sad, or frustrating moments, how do you let go of the stress?

©2013 Pamela D. Williams