Shout triumphantly to the LORD, all the earth! Serve the LORD with celebration! Come before him with shouts of joy! Know that the LORD is God— he made us; we belong to him. We are his people, the sheep of his own pasture. Enter his gates with thanks; enter his courtyards with praise! Thank him! Bless his name! Because the LORD is good, his loyal love lasts forever; his faithfulness lasts generation after generation. ~ Psalm 100
Have you tried shouting to the LORD? Shouting is not something I do very often, no matter what the circumstance. I’m just naturally not a “shouter”. But the first two verses of Psalm 100 say, “Shout!”
In one translation of the Bible, I found 25 verses that tell us to “shout” to the LORD. Yet, I have rarely complied.
Occasionally in a church service a song leader will encourage us to shout a phrase from a hymn or song. When Dick and I attended the Jesus festivals there were times when we shouted praise. It felt natural! I mean, how could I NOT shout with praise in the midst of so many believers joining as with one voice?
Oh, yes, there are many other avenues of offering praise to the LORD--music, dance, art, testimony, prayer, writing, etc. But, not wanting to be disobedient, I decided to try shouting to the LORD. Admittedly, it felt weird—and yet good, obedient, and freeing! After all, I have many reasons to shout praise to the LORD!
- For a loving, caring, kind, unselfish husband who constantly keeps my well-being at the forefront of his thoughts, words, and actions
- For only minor side effects from the potent drugs being pumped into my body at three week intervals
- For the encouraging words penned on dozens of cards, notes, Facebook posts, and blog comments from friends and family
- For the powerful, loving prayers of hundreds of people around the world
- For family both near and far who have assured me over and over of their love, concern, prayers, and support
What praises are you shouting to the LORD today?
©2015 Pamela D. Williams