Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Skate Key

Have you ever worn old-fashioned metal roller skates that strapped onto your shoes? I spent many happy hours winging my way along the sidewalks around our house and neighborhood.

These skates required a skate “key”. I remember stringing a piece of yarn through the long slit in the middle of the key so I could wear it around my neck while skating. The hexagonal loop on top was used to turn the bolt that adjusted the length of the skate and the other end fit on the pin that tightened the toe grips. This made it possible for siblings with different shoe sizes to share the same pair of skates.

 After rolling over cement sidewalks, with the rhythmic ka-thunk, ka-thunk, ka-thunk of the wheels hitting the cracks, I often discovered the fittings had loosened with the repetitive jarring. If not taken care of, the parts of the skates would slip and slid or even fall off, causing twisted ankles, skinned knees and bruised palms. Having my key handy for adjustments assured a good, long and safe skate time.

As we skate along in life we often encounter bumps in the road. At times, it can feel like we are being as regularly bombarded as those unending cracks in the sidewalk that I skated over as a kid. Our life can feel like a series of ka-thunks that eventually rattle us to our core.

What serves as our “skate key” when that happens? Where do we turn to regain our strength, to help us adjust and hold us together? For me, it is God and His Word.
2 Timothy 3:16 informs us that “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.”

When I think I can’t go on anymore without falling apart, God reminds me, “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. (Isaiah 43:2). He urges me onward with the words of Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.”

When my faith is wobbling under pressure, I hear God’s still, small voice encouraging me to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from beginning to end. (Hebrews 12:2).

When I am out of alignment, Isaiah 30:21 promises: “Your own ears will hear the Lord. Right behind you a voice will say, "This is the way you should go," whether to the right or to the left.”

I trusted my old skate key to keep my skates in good working order; and I can depend on God’s Word as I traverse the cracks and bumps of life.

Be encouraged!
Pam

©2015 Pamela D. Williams