Wednesday, November 2, 2016

What Goes Around Comes Around


photo courtesy of UMC.org

“You know, what goes around comes around,” I jokingly told my daughter when she related a story about the exasperating behavior of one of her boys.

Most of the time when we quote that adage, it carries a negative connotation. Lately, however, I have experienced it in the positive sense.

About a month ago, our daughter began worshiping with a different church than the one she previously attended. She LOVES her new church home! Every time I talk to her, she mentions something spiritually challenging she heard in the sermon or at the fellowship group she is attending on Monday evenings. Her boys eagerly attend both church and the youth program; THEY remind HER of meetings and special events. She has questions and I hear the excitement in her voice about what she is reading in her Bible. I am witnessing not only my daughter walking with Jesus, but my grandsons as well! Those phone calls warm my heart and renew my own enthusiasm for Jesus.

As Christian parents, we all pray that our children with one day discover for themselves a relationship with Jesus. By word and example, we do our best to instill a living faith in their souls and minds. Sometimes we wonder about just how good a job we are doing in that department. And then we get a phone call like the ones I have received lately, and our feet and hearts start doing the happy dance.

My experience reminds me that even more than human adages, God’s Word is true. Proverbs 22:6 says, “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” Sounds a lot like, “What goes around, comes around.”

And that isn’t always a bad thing.

Be encouraged!
Pam

©2016 Pamela D. Williams