Wednesday, January 4, 2017

God Revealed


As I sit in the family room, enjoying my devotional time with Jesus, our big old furnace roars to life in the utility closet nearby. Soon the click, click, click of the metal baseboard enclosures expanding and contracting let me know the hot water has made it to the room I am in. A faint, not unpleasant smell arises; I guess it is the dust particles on the pipes warming up. Warmth permeates the chilled air and my shoulders relax as the coziness of the heat envelopes me. Though I can’t see warmth, I can hear, feel, and even smell its presence.

Like the invisible heat from my furnace, God’s physical form cannot be seen, (now that Jesus has ascended back into Heaven). However, just as the results of the hot water flowing through our pipes can be readily realized, the effects of God’s presence are clear and visible to anyone who chooses to look for them.

What are some ways we can see God? I find God revealed in:
 Scripture. Often, when I need comfort or direction, God’s Word calms my fears and speaks to my heart. Timothy 3:16 affirms this: “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching the truth, rebuking error, correcting faults, and giving instruction for right living.”
Prayer. Much of my prayer time is me talking. However, when I grow quiet, God guides my thoughts and feelings, letting me know He is present. Colossians 4:2 says, “Be persistent in prayer, and keep alert as you pray, giving thanks to God.”
Believers. At times, I need a physical hug or to hear a story of God at work. My fellow believers remind me that God is real, he cares, and he intervenes.  1 Thessalonians 5:14 says, “Warn the idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone.”
Creation. The beauty and rhythm of nature clearly reveals God. Romans 1:20 says, “Ever since God created the world, his invisible qualities, both his eternal power and his divine nature, have been clearly seen; they are perceived in the things that God has made.”

What makes God visible to you? How will you look for him in 2017?

Be encouraged!
Pam

©2017 Pamela D. Williams