Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Spring has Sprung

Spring has sprung! Praise God!

Dick and I traveled to the southern part of our state this week for church business. While there, we slipped in a short walk around the neighborhood where we used to live. The spring flowers dotting the yards and the blossom-covered trees lining the streets were bursting with color and fragrance. The birds singing their joyous melodies, the fresh scent of rain-washed air, and the chance to walk hand in hand through quiet streets, awed our senses and renewed our spirits. 

Winter begins to feel unending about this time of year for me. I can get very “blah” and uninspired by the barren, colorless trees and flattened, faded grasses, so it was great to be reminded of the beauty that will be coming to our northern area soon. I thank God for the infusion of new life into my worn, insipid soul.

God has been renewing my spiritual life lately, too. My blogging friend Bill recently wrote that he had been lulled into a spiritual stupor from which he needed to awaken. I could totally relate to Bill’s feelings. Like my winter “blahs”, I was spiritually “blah”, my relationship with Jesus having become routine and overly familiar. I had lost my “awe”—then Jesus drew our daughter into a close walk with Him, a totally sold-out commitment.

A few months ago, Erin started attending a different church, one with more youth involvement for her sons. What she heard and witnessed there profoundly impacted her spiritually. Though she had asked Jesus to be her Savior at an early age, she had never really allowed Him to be Lord of her life. When she opened her heart to Him, He moved right in! As she began living for Jesus, He opened her eyes to His work around her. He showed her how His Word is alive and active and oh so relevant. It has been a wonder-filled experience that God has inspired her to share with me.

And my own life and faith are renewed by Erin’s accounts of the positively awesome ways God is moving in her life. Her wonder and awe are inspiring. Her faith and trust are contagious. Her enthusiasm and determination are motivating. My heart overflows with gratitude not only for what God is doing for Erin, but for infusing my own spiritual life with a renewed awe and appreciation for Jesus. My eyes of faith have refocused so I am beginning to once-again see the movement of God to which I had become oblivious.

It’s like the awakening of Spring—in my soul!

I ask that your minds may be opened to see his light,
so that you will know what is the hope to which he has called you,
how rich are the wonderful blessings he promises his people,
and how very great is his power at work in us who believe.
Ephesians 1:18-19

Be encouraged!
Pam                                                            

©2017 Pamela D. Williams