Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Cracks and Crevices



I recently bought a used car from a fellow who had it listed on Facebook Marketplace. It really was a great buy and the seller was an honest, forthright person asking a very fair price. There was just one little problem.

While we were sitting in the notary’s office, he excused himself saying, “I need to step outside for a moment to take my medication.”

I thought it was a little odd but figured maybe he was diabetic and didn’t want an audience when he gave himself a shot. Then I heard my husband and the notary chuckling. When I turned to Dick he said, “He went out to smoke a cigarette.”

Uh-oh. When we test drove the vehicle, I hadn’t picked up on the smell of smoke. The only odor I had noticed was that of Armor All. Oh well, I thought to myself, a good cleaning will take care of any lingering smoke residue.

Little did I know how many cracks and crevices there are in a car—hard-to-get-to places where ash and its accompanying odor can hide! Three times I went over the car, inside and out, before I felt like I had wiped, scrubbed, and vacuumed all the tiny particles. And then that evening I accidentally dropped a slip of paper between the seat and the door. I grabbed my trusty iPhone, tapped on the flashlight, and shined it down in the crevice. Under the lever to adjust the seat, a layer of ash mocked me: You thought you had rid this car of me, but there are still areas where I can hide!

As I thought about the smoke’s pervasiveness, I realized how similar it is to sin. When I trusted in Jesus’ death on the cross for forgiveness from my sins, I wanted to leave all those old sinful ways behind. But nearly 40 years later, I am still discovering hidden pockets of the old me that need the light of Jesus to roust them out.

Grumbling, criticizing, gossiping, doubting, and wanting MY WAY crop up more often than I care to admit. Just when I think I have my act together, God shines His Word on my soul and reveals veiled areas that continue to need His cleansing power.

And I am thankful.

*Thankful that God doesn’t allow us to go on thinking sin is okay. Instead, God corrects those He loves. (Proverbs 3:12)
*Thankful for God’s promise that if we confess our sins He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
*Thankful that God gives us victory over sin through our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 15:57)
*Thankful that there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)

Sure, my new-to-me car needed a thorough detailing, but I’m thinking a spiritual detailing is in order for me, too.

Thank You, Lord, for making sure that sin doesn’t go unnoticed in the cracks and crevices of my soul but instead You shine Your light and put Your power to work cleansing and forgiving my sin. Amen.

Be encouraged!
Pam

©2017 Pamela D. Williams