Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Therefore, We Write


Lately, many of my blogging and writing friends seem to be struggling to “keep on keeping on.” I am facing that battle, too. We wrack our brains, week after week, to come up with “something to write about”. Many of us bloggers have been plugging along for five, seven, or even ten years! It takes a lot of effort and creativity to maintain a blog for that long. I admire those who can post more than once a week. Sometimes I feel as though I barely finish my woolgathering for my Wednesday post for this week and suddenly, here it is, Tuesday evening again—and I got nothin’! I don’t want to fill my blog with mere fluff or reposts. Oh no! What do I post?

Can you relate, my writer friends?

As I pondered this dilemma, I felt God nudging me to look back over the pieces I keep in a folder called “Works in Progress”. In it I found this poem I wrote as part of my blogging friend Arlee Bird’s 2011 A to Z Blogging Challenge.

God has called writers to witness to readers,
Through stories and poems . . . a book,
Of all that our Lord has done, saving us through His Son,
So to Him, each one will look.
Now by our wordsmithing, others to Christ we bring.
Spirit, please guide what we pen.
Choose us and use us and speak Your truth through us, Lord.
We want to serve You again.

©2011 Pamela D. Williams

In this poem I see three reasons why Christian writers must write:

  • Writing is a calling, just like preaching is a calling. How do we know we are called? In an interview, John Piper, pastor and author said the following about the call to write, “It is a recurrent, not temporary; long-term, not short-lived; compelling, not merely interesting; benevolent, not selfish; Christ-exalting, not self-exalting desire to write, which proves fruitful in the lives of others.” Therefore, we write.
  • Writing is a witness, a means of sharing what God has done and is doing. Each and every one of us is called to share what God is doing. 1 Peter 2:9 says to the whole church, laity and clergy: "You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people, that you may declare the wonderful deeds of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light." Therefore, we write.
  • Writing is a service, a way for us to serve God and our fellow inhabitants of this Earth. The world is hungry for love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. —and we know the Source that can meet those needs! (Galatians 5:22-23) Jesus commanded us to go and make disciples (Matthew 28:19). Therefore, we write.

 When we step back and take a good look at our reasons for writing, the words begin to flow again. Inspiration seeps in from unlikely, unexpected places and we know the Source of our writing is nudging us to flip open our computers and post again.

Praying for each one of you as you navigate this holy calling to write for Jesus. Please continue to put your words out there for all of us to read and be drawn closer to God. Your words spark our faith, light fires of both comfort and courage, and fuel the hearts of your readers.

Be encouraged!
Pam

I have written a book of devotions specifically for writers, designed to inspire and re-kindle our ministry of writing. It is available from Crosslink by clicking on the icon to the right.

 ©2018 Pamela D. Williams Your thoughts on my posts are always welcome. If you would like to comment, you can do so on Facebook or Google+.