Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Preparations


As we turned the corner from the hallway into the kitchen, Dick and I stopped short. I snapped the photo you see above—and looked over at Dick, wide-eyed.

When the trustees at Grace United Methodist Church, Lewistown, (where we will move in June), said they “re-doing” the kitchen, I pictured freshly painted cabinets and new linoleum. However, the kitchen will be completely transformed, including removing a wall and replacing the floor, appliances, and cabinets! We can hardly wait to see the finished project!

Preparations are being made all over the house—refinishing hardwood floors, addressing a radon problem, updating bathrooms, and painting walls. Dick and I are so excited that we will get to enjoy all these wonderful improvements!

An undertaking of this magnitude takes vision and commitment. Dick and I applaud the people of Grace UMC for being willing to invest so much time, effort, and funds into making their parsonage a lovely home where anyone would be thrilled to live.

As I thumbed through the pictures on my phone that I had snapped of the house and considered all the many preparations being made, I wondered, What am I doing to prepare myself for ministry at Grace UMC? How am I clearing the way for new and exciting movements of God within Grace church and within me?

Contemplating these questions, I realized there are ways I can prepare for the transition:
  • Reflect on all the wonderful ways God has walked with us in previous churches
  • Pray for the church members, the leadership, Dick, our neighbors, and myself
  • Learn all I can about the church and the area where we are moving
  • Plan ways to connect with church members and neighbors
  • Anticipate exciting new ministry opportunities

 Interestingly enough, this same list works for church members as they prepare for a new pastor!
  • Reflect on all the wonderful ways God has walked with you under previous pastors
  • Pray for the church members, the leadership, the new pastor, and yourself
  • Learn all you can about the pastor and his/her family
  • Plan ways to connect with the pastor and his/her family
  • Anticipate exciting new ministry opportunities

 What would you add to this list? How would you prepare for a pastoral change?

Be encouraged!

Pam

Your thoughts on my posts are always welcome. If you would like to comment, you can do so on Facebook, Google+, or via my contact link below.

©2018 Pamela D. Williams