Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Spittin' Image

©2018 Bethany Shoemaker

“You’re the spitting image of your mother,” my mom’s friend stated.
“You all are related, aren’t you,’ the waiter at the restaurant noted. “You look alike.”
“Is this Pam or Lisa?” my aunt asked when I called her. “You sound the same on the phone.”
“Wow! I can tell you and Lisa are sisters,” a lady at the Senior Center remarked.

For years I have been told I look like my mother. And it is obvious that my youngest sister and I share similarities in our facial features, our body build, our voices, our mannerisms.

Recently at SacredSpace.ie I read, “I am created in the image and likeness of God.” The basis for those words is found in Genesis 1:26-27: “Then God said, ‘Let us make humans in our image, in our likeness. . . So, God created humans in his image. In the image of God, he created them.’”

Biblical scholar D. J. A. Clines, in his article "The Image of God in Man", says that we are created to be a "copy" or a "graphic image" of the Creator, a visible and understandable representation of who God is and what He is really like.

That is kind of a scary thought—full of hidden meanings and evoking great responsibility. I know what it means to be the image, likeness, or copy of my sister and mom, but what does it mean for me to be the likeness and image of God that others see?

Scripture gives us a long list of characteristics of God:
Exodus 34:6 God is compassionate and faithful.
Psalm 46:1 God is always ready to help.
Psalm 116:5 God is merciful and good.
Psalm 193:8 God is not easily angered.
Joel 2:13 God is patient and forgiving.
John 3:33 God is truthful.
Romans 2:4 God is kind.
Romans 11:33 God is wise and knowledgeable.
1 Corinthians 1:9 God is trustworthy.
1 Peter 1:15 God is holy.
1 Peter 5:7 God is caring.
1 John 4:8 God is love.

These are just a few of the many Scriptures that give us a glimpse of God—and, according to Genesis 1:27, of who God created us to be. Through His transforming power, we can become the “spittin' image” of Jesus

Be encouraged!
Pam

©2018 Pamela D. Williams