Wednesday, August 15, 2018

A Skate Key


Have you ever worn metal roller skates that you strapped onto your shoes? As a kid in the early 1960’s, I spent many happy hours winging my way along the walk at the side of our house. I didn’t visit an official rollerskating rink till I was in 10th or 11th grade.

Our metal skates were nothing fancy, just a bare-bones framework. A metal clamp gripped the toes of our shoes, two metal plates formed the platform for the soles, and a metal “heel”, with a leather strap laced through it, buckled the back to your ankle.

Whole families of kids with different shoe sizes could take turns using the same pair of skates—they were completely adjustable! The toe clamps expanded and contracted, the sole platform shortened or lengthened, and the heel strap could be loosened or tightened.

However, accomplishing all these wonderful adjustments required a “skate key”. A hexagonal loop at the top of the metal key was used to turn the nut that adjusted the length of the skate. The other end fit on the pin that tightened the toe grips.

After rolling over cement sidewalks, with the rhythmic ka-thunk, ka-thunk, ka-thunk of the wheels hitting the cracks, the fittings would loosen with the repetitive jarring. If not taken care of, the parts of the skates would slip and slid or even fall off. I had my fair share of twisted ankles, skinned knees and scraped palms. Having my skate key handy for periodic adjustments assured a long and safe time skating.

As we go through life, there are times when we are like a skate that needs adjusting. Difficult circumstances, challenging situations, and our own poor choices tend to rattle us to the point that we wonder if we can keep going. Every day jars and shakes us till we feel like we are teetering precariously on ill-fitting skates.

The good news is there is a Key that can help us. Jesus has promised to be with us through every moment. (Matthew 28:20) He is the key to wisdom, strength, endurance, direction and forgiveness—and He makes it all available to us when we chose to walk (or skate) with Him through life’s ups and downs.

Adjusting a loose skate requires one to stop and apply the key. Likewise, recognizing and implementing needed changes in our lives can only happen when we cease struggling and take the time to connect with Jesus, allowing Him to guide, chasten, encourage, and comfort us.

I have found that in just ten to fifteen minutes of quiet time before I launch into my day, Jesus can alter my perspective, tighten my resolve, and adjust my priorities. Then I can skate through life, knowing He is with me always.

Be encouraged!
Pam

©2018 Pamela D. Williams