Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Coffee Shop Observations


This past week I spent some time with a new friend at Brisco's, a local coffee shop. We enjoyed learning about each other's past while slurping lattes and savoring pastries.

I love coffee shops—the Big Oak in Chambersburg, The Main Bean in Luzerne. In fact, this week, while I am visiting my daughter in Minnesota, she and I will stop by Jitters Java Cafe in Sauk Centre for some great coffee and conversation.

What I love about coffee shops isn’t necessarily the coffee. It’s the atmosphere. The aromas and tastes and ambiance encourage me to sit back and relax, listen with an open heart, and speak with honesty. It reminds me of James 1:19 "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen . . .", and Galatians 6:2 “Bear one another’s burdens . . .”

These are my “Coffee Shop Observations”:

Folks two to ninety will come gather here,
Couples and singles, and students with gear,
Men, women, children, both oldsters, and teens,
Regulars, newbies whom I’ve never seen.

Some come in leisure and some on the go,
Anticipating a hot cup of joe.
Sticky bun? Muffin? Or Cranberry scone?
Lemon tart? Carrot cake? Coffee alone?

Coffee with sugar and coffee with cream,
Coffee with flavors in seasonal themes.
Peppermint mocha or rich pumpkin spice
Cinnamon, hazelnut, hot or with ice.

Long conversations and short meet-and-greets,
Serious, funny, exciting, discreet.
Outbursts of laughter and sometimes a tear,
Tête-à-têtes relished with loved ones held dear.

Come to the coffee shop; Don’t rush to go!
Savor espresso or cappuccino.
Sit with a friend to sip coffee and talk
Read a great book, but don’t look at the clock.

Where do you meet those with whom you want to share a little conversation?

Be encouraged!

Pam

©2018 Pamela D. Williams