Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Naturally vs Spiritually


“Naturally, I . . .”
“I initially reacted by . . .”
“My first thought was . . . “

Since early on in my Christian walk, I have prayed that my natural, first responses would be ones that come directly from God, holy and selfless. However, in reality, I find my initial reactions are often not.

For instance, in place of quick and humble admission of guilt when I have done something wrong, I claim, “It wasn’t my fault!”
Or, instead of considering that there may be truth in someone’s’ criticism of me, I immediately want to spout retaliatory accusations.

In Romans 7, Paul talks about the ongoing spiritual battle between our human nature and God’s Spirit. Even Paul admitted, “I do not understand what I do; for I don't do what I would like to do, but instead I do what I hate.”

And yet, just one chapter later, Paul reminds us, “God declared an end to sin’s control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins…The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you…Therefore, you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do…For the Holy Spirit helps us in our weaknesses.”

How do we tap into that power? By reading God's Word, talking with Jesus, and by relying on God’s Holy Spirit who dwells within us as our comforter, helper, teacher and guide. Quality fellowship with Jesus is powerful.  We need to slow down and spend time with Him if we want His reactions to be our first response also.

Be encouraged!
Pam

©2019 Pamela D. Williams
Comments welcome via Facebook or email (writepam71@gmail.com).