Wednesday, August 21, 2019

A Kitten in the Hedge


“What’s moving out there under the hedge?” I asked my husband.

Dick walked to the window. “It looks like . . .Why, it’s a mother cat and a kitten!”

We headed outside. Before we left our porch, the momma cat scurried into the bushes. The kitten, however, stood her ground.

Squatting down, Dick tried to pet the kitten, but it arched its back, fluffed up its fur, and hissed profusely before darting away after its mother. I sighed with disappointment, knowing feral cats live short, difficult lives.

Oddly, that kitten reminded me of my dad. Whenever I even casually tried to talk with him about faith in Jesus as his Savior, he invariably got defensive. Bristling, he remarked, “I’m not so bad. I never killed anybody. I never cheated on your mother!”

Then he would hurry away, mumbling about needing a nap or a shower or to go get gas in his truck. Sad and concerned, I would sigh and let him go. Thankfully, near the end of Daddy’s life, he did place his trust in Jesus.

Like the kitten’s reaction when Dick tried to befriend it, when we share Christ, we won’t always receive a warm welcome. How the person responds is up to them, not to us. God merely asks us to go and teach them about Him, sharing the Good News of forgiveness through Jesus. (Matthew 28:19-20)

Although we can’t force faith on our loved ones or friends, we can reach out—and let God capture their hearts. We are simply to obey Philippians 2:15-16, “Shine as lights in the world, holding forth the word of life.”

Be encouraged!
Pam

©2019 Pamela D. Williams
writepam71@gmail.com