Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Brighter Visions


Brighter Visions Counseling. This is Pam. How can I help?”

I started a new job a few weeks ago—administrative assistant at a counseling office. I love it! Everyday I am learning new things and meeting new people. And God is opening my eyes to the truly vital work that these caring counselors offer.

In each place that Dick and I have moved over the last 45 years, God has given me different opportunities. I have been a church secretary, a substitute teacher, a teacher’s aide, a grocery store clerk, manager of a nursing home gift shop, sign language instructor, high school janitor, cashier in an educational dairy/mercantile/greenhouse, foster parent, and ESL aide.

No matter where God has called me, He has also provided me with openings to minister to others in some way. Often it is just a listening ear, a smile of encouragement, a phone call to the right agency, an offer of prayer, an especially apropos Scripture, or a word of empathy. Sometimes it is connecting individuals who can be mutually helpful to one another.

Colossians 3:23 says, “Whatever you do, work willingly, from the soul, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.” We can work for Jesus in any and every job.

At one point in our ministry, Dick had to take a second job to make ends meet. He worked at Weis Markets stocking shelves and a variety of other assignments. One morning he was handed a broom and asked to sweep the parking lot. There were cigarette butts everywhere. At first, he labored begrudgingly, mumbling to himself about the dirty habits of some people. But as he swept, God was at work in his heart. What if these were the streets of gold mentioned in the Bible and it was God’s parking lot, not Weis Markets’? He would be thankful to serve God in that capacity! Dick’s attitude was changed immediately and he approached his task with much more enthusiasm.

I am very thankful for the perfect niche God has given me at Brighter Visions. I love seeing lives changed for the better and people truly experiencing brighter visions for their futures. I look forward to serving Jesus in this particular place.

What opportunity is God providing for you to minister for Him, right where you are, whatever you are doing?

Be encouraged!
Pam 

©2019 Pamela D. Williams
writepam71@gmail.com