Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Is My Faith Too Tiny?


In my daily Bible reading I came across a verse I have read and heard so often it usually goes in one ear and out the other. But not this time.

Matthew 17:20 jumped off the page and lodged in my mind, refusing to go away. As the thought penetrated my consciousness, I realized these words hold great power.

Perhaps it is because of a few recent conversations with friends about faith doubts. If we are truly honest with ourselves and others, we will admit that at times we wonder, “Is this faith thing all for real?” “Does God really hear and care and act?” “Does God even exist?” “Am I deluding myself?”

 I know these questions have fleeted through my thoughts from time to time. I have been too frightened to actually entertain them, but they still hover there in the back of my mind on occasion.

I ask myself, is my faith too weak to call myself a Christian? Is my faith too small for God to recognize? Is my faith too underdeveloped to hope for answered prayer?

Matthew 17:20 says otherwise! “If you have faith the size of a mustard seed. . .”

A mustard seed is about .039 of an inch. To be more precise, it is about the size of the head of a straight pin—the kind used by seamstresses to pin a pattern to fabric. That is very small. And, yet, from that tiny seed, a bush can grow that reaches 20 feet! And it only takes one such seed to produce that tall bush!

Likewise, even in the midst of my uncertainties, God always reminds me of some small faith fact that I can’t deny—His reflection in the face of a pansy, the arms of my husband, or the encouraging words of a friend. And from that tiny kernel of conviction grows faith that can face doubts, challenges, and tests.

Do I have faith the size of a mustard seed? Yes, I do! My faith may not resemble the sea coconut-sized (12 inches) faith of Billy Graham, but even at its tiniest there is that still, small voice of God that whispers, “I am here!”
 
And Jesus says, that is enough.

Be encouraged!
Pam

©2019 Pamela D. Williams
writepam71@gmail.com