Wednesday, December 7, 2022

The Gifts of Advent: Music



One of the gifts of the Advent season is music. We hear lots of songs between Thanksgiving and Christmas that we don’t hear at any other time of year. Choirs bring out their favorite carols and media outlets play the “oldies but goodies” like, “Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer” and “Here Comes Santa Claus”. Though I love most all of them, I do have a few favorites.

As a former bell choir member, I love “Carol of the Bells”. It is a piece filled with pure joy and, while challenging, it is such fun to play.

“The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)” by Nat King Cole always puts me in a sentimental mood. It slows down time and opens our eyes to the simple joys in life.

I remember the first time I heard the music group, Mannheim Steamroller. The way they infused new life and excitement into many of the old favorite carols was amazing! Just the opening notes of their version of “Joy to the World” puts a smile on my face and sets my foot to tapping.

Among the traditional church Christmas carols, “Angels We Have Heard on High” transfers joy from our hearts to our lips! I especially enjoy singing the “Glorias” in the chorus!

Everyone’s favorite to end a Christmas Eve candlelight service, is “Silent Night”. The song has an interesting origin. Joseph Mohr, a young Catholic priest in Austria, discovered that the organ at his church had been damaged by mice and couldn’t be fixed before Christmas.

A few years before, however, he had written a rather beautiful poem called ‘Stille Nacht’. Mohr decided to ask Franz Gruber, a schoolmaster and organist in a nearby town, to set his poem to music. Gruber agreed and the two of them sang ‘Stille Nacht’ for the first time at the church’s Christmas Mass. Mohr played guitar and the choir repeated the last two lines of each verse—“Sleep in heavenly peace.”

Every Christmas Eve, as far back as I can remember, I have been in church and joined the congregation in singing “Silent Night”. We hold our candles as the lights are dimmed, and sing with awe, accompanied by organ or piano, and occasionally by guitar. It is always a time of reflection and remembrance, full of tears and smiles. I often see and hear in my mind’s eye, my dad and mom singing this song along with us. It wouldn’t be Christmas Eve without singing “Silent Night”.

What are some of your favorite Christmas songs and carols? What makes them special for you?

This Advent slow down long enough to listen to a few of these tunes we don’t hear at other times of the year. As they carry you down memory lane, let God speak peace and joy to your heart.

Be encouraged!

 ©2022 Pamela D. Williams.

Comments welcome at writepam71@gmail.com