Wednesday, November 8, 2023

For the Good of All


Our church has recently undergone some major changes—acquiring a new pastor, closing of the day care, starting new ministries, etc. As a result, we have rooms, closets, and cabinets of “stuff” that needs to be gone through and organized.

Over the years I have discovered that God seems to have gifted me with organizational skills. And, since I am retired, I have the time to contribute to this undertaking. I have spent lots of hours sorting, storing, and disposing of items, some of which have not seen the light of day for over 20 years.

For me, it is fun! I love finding new homes for things we no longer need, creating a storehouse of supplies so the church doesn’t buy things they already have, helping everyone more easily find where various office, Sunday school, and kitchen goods can be found. I nearly filled a dumpster with container-less lids, dried up markers, empty boxes, non-working equipment, tattered Christmas décor, and worn out, unidentified parts to machinery we no longer own. It is very satisfying work.

In Romans 12 and 1 Corinthians 12 there are lists of various gifts that God gives to help the church function as it should. 1 Corinthians 12:4-7 says, “There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit gives them. There are different ways of serving, but the same Lord is served. There are different abilities to perform service, but the same God gives ability to all for their particular service. The Spirit's presence is shown in some way in each person for the good of all.”

We aren’t all given the same gifts. I can’t preach. I dread entering a roomful of strangers I am supposed to meet and greet. I find hospital and nursing home visits stressful. But if you have a box of papers to file, a topic to research, a kitchen to organize, or a display to be set up, then I am just the person you need.

Is there an area in your local church that needs your skill set? Pray and ask the Lord to show you. It may not be teaching Sunday school or sitting on the church board. It might be cleaning the oven, folding bulletins, painting a classroom, troubleshooting computer systems, or hauling unneeded items to the Salvation Army!  Each of us is called to serve for the good of all!

Be encouraged!


©2023 Pamela D. Williams.
Comments welcome at writepam71@gmail.com