Wednesday, December 20, 2023

The Gift of Praise


As Christmas approaches, I find myself looking at the many manger scenes we display in our home at this time of year. However, it’s not the carol, “Away in a Manger”, that starts to play in my mind. It is the praise song, “Lord, I Lift Your Name on High” by Rick Founds.

Lord, I lift Your name on high; Lord, I love to sing Your praises.

I'm so glad You're in my life. I'm so glad You came to save us.

You came from heaven to earth to show the way.

From the earth to the cross, my debt to pay.

From the cross to the grave, from the grave to the sky,

Lord, I lift Your name on high.

While it’s not your typical Christmas carol, it certainly centers on why Jesus came to us. It moves us from the tiny, helpless infant to the self-sacrificing, sin-and-death overcoming Lord of us all! The song offers God our praise and thanks for saving us from our sins!

Hebrews 13:15 says, “Let us, then, always offer praise to God as our sacrifice through Jesus, which is the offering presented by lips that confess him as Lord.” Psalm 150 tells us to praise the Lord and then gives us all kinds of suggestions on why and how! While the wisemen brought Jesus gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh, our gift to the Savior is our praise!

During this season of emphasis on gifts, let’s give God, the ultimate Gift-Giver, our praise! Praise Him for coming from His home in Heaven to show us the way we should live. Praise Him for giving His life on the cross to pay our debt for our sins. Praise Him for rising from the grave to go and prepare a place for us to live with Him forever!

Be encouraged!


©2023 Pamela D. Williams.

Comments welcome at writepam71@gmail.com