Wednesday, October 16, 2024

This Time Next Week


How do you handle it when you are faced with an overwhelming challenge? Do you follow the adage, “When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!”? Do you mimic the ostrich during scary times and “hide your head in the sand”? (an untrue myth, by the way) Perhaps you like to “whistle a happy tune” to conceal your fears from others.

We all develop coping mechanisms to deal with those situations that fill us with dread. A serious diagnosis, a learning challenge at work, a rocky patch with one of the kids, a move to an entirely new location, an important test (whether academic, medical, or job-related)—lots of things in life can make us wring our hands, cradle our roiling stomachs and clutch our heads to still the negative thoughts repeating relentlessly in our minds.

Over the years I have found some things that help me when life spirals out of my control. Foremost, is prayer. (Ephesians 6:18) Pouring my heart out to God in complete honesty, relinquishing control to Him, relieves much of the burden.

Sharing my concerns with someone else often lightens the load. Christian friends keep our confidences and join us in praying about the situation. (Galatians 6:2)

Educating myself on the subject helps dispel unfounded fears and corrects erroneous assumptions. (Proverbs 18:15) “Knowledge is power” rings true!

The Bible is a great resource! God’s Word is a lamp to our feet and a light to our path! (Psalm 119:) It is useful for teaching us the truth, rebuking error, correcting our faults, and giving us instruction for right living. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

And something that works well for me is to trust God with the future (Jeremiah 29:11). I like to set a goal or a date when I expect things will have changed, i.e. “Next week my cold will be gone.” “By Thanksgiving I will be finished with chemo and my hair will have started to come back.” “A year from now my car will be paid off.” “This time next month we will be done with the house renovations.”

How do you manage a double whammy from life? Remember, we are NEVER alone in what we face. Jesus has promised to ALWAYS be with us. (Matthew 28:20)

Be encouraged!

©2024 Pamela D. Williams.
Comments welcome at writepam71@gmail.com