Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Growing Faith like Honeysuckle

photo by Pam Williams
I am so proud of myself! I transplanted a honeysuckle plant from my childhood neighbor’s yard and it has taken root and grown! Me, the one with no plant skills at all! Honeysuckle holds a special place in my heart because it reminds me so much of my Grandma Flasher. You can read all about hers in my post Honeysuckle: A Childhood Memory.

As I thought over what I had done to help my little honeysuckle plant to take root and grow, I realized that I faithfully cared for it in four ways:
  • I watered the plant so its roots would take hold.
  • I pulled out the weeds and grasses that encroached on the young plant.
  • I protected the honeysuckle from my husband’s overzealous weed whacking.
  • To lend it support, I gently entwined the tendrils around the decorative posts holding up our porch roof.

 Hmmm—I get the picture, Lord, This process sounds a lot like what I need in order for my faith to grow:
  • I must water my faith by immersing myself in God’s Word, digging down deep to grasp a better understanding and knowledge of God and what He expects of me.
  • I need to weed out those things in my life that hinder my faith by keeping me from spending time with God—checking Facebook or email too often, saying yes to unnecessary commitments, becoming a house-workaholic.
  • It is important for me to protect my faith from being cut down by those who disparage my beliefs or negatively influence my spiritual convictions. Though difficult, sometimes it requires severing the relationship.
  • I have to realize that other believers can help my faith grow. Weaving my life together with fellow members of my faith community in Sunday school classes, Bible studies, service projects, and fellowship groups provides me with a strong support system for my faith to grow.

 What spiritual lessons has God taught you through your plants?

The Lord will always lead you and satisfy your needs in dry lands.
He will give strength to your bones.
You will be like a garden that has plenty of water,
like a spring that never goes dry.
Isaiah 58:11

Blessings!
Pam

©2015 Pamela D. Williams