Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Little Twist To Our “Thanks For” List

Photo by Snapshots of Joy

This means that anyone who belongs
to Christ has become a new person.
The old life is gone; a new life has begun!
2 Corinthians 5:17

Our pastor (who happens to be my gifted husband) suggested that this Thanksgiving we try a little twist to our “Thanks for” list: Rather than thanking God for what he has given us, Dick suggested we thank him for what he has taken from us. I thought that sounded a bit odd until I heard his examples: Former smokers can be thankful God delivered them from nicotine, an abused girlfriend can be thankful God helped her end the relationship, a cancer patient can be thankful God guided the surgeon’s hands in removing the cancerous tumor, etc.

As an exercise in praise, I decided to write my list of things I was thankful God removed from my life:

  • the penalty for my sins through the sacrifice of Jesus
  • our seven-year wait to adopt
  • the prison of worry
  • my ulcerative colitis flares
  • my mother's cancer.
  • sole responsibility for 1stWrites
  • the overgrown shrubs in our yard for a tenth of the estimated cost
  • our children's dependence (Proud to be the parent of two independent, responsible adults!)
  • legalistic religion

What's on your list of things you are thankful that God removed from your life?


©2012 Pamela D. Williams