Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Glimpse of His Artwork

Photo by Spacepleb
So God created great sea creatures and
every living thing that scurries and swarms in the water,
and every sort of bird
each producing offspring of the same kind.
And God saw that it was good.
Genesis 1:21

The window over my sink frames a leafy cosmos. Though their fuchsia blooms are long gone, the giant rhododendrons snuggled up against the house bustle with color and movement. Birds vie for a feast at the birdfeeder I hung there. Sparrows and finches flit from branch to branch. Blue jays and cardinals sail from tree to bush to tree with sunflower seeds in their bills. Doves gather on the ground beneath in search of cracked corn.

As I watch the activity this morning, the countless subtle shades of blue, red, and brown in the birds’ plumage capture my attention. I find it quite interesting that God chose to feather my little friends in many colors. After all, He didn’t have to. He could have made them all solid black or white or gray; but he decided not to. Why?

Do the variations in color benefit the birds? I guess the brown tones probably make it easier for sparrows to hide in bushes from predators. However, the brilliant hues of some of the other species certainly do not provide camouflage.

I gaze in wonder. Could God have given the birds their myriad of colors simply for His pleasure as an artist and our delight as viewers of His outdoor gallery? I must conclude, yes!

Our God is the Master Creator with an imagination that we cannot begin to fathom. As the barren landscape of winter encroaches, put up a birdfeeder and catch a glimpse of our Father’s magnificent artwork firsthand.

©2012 Pamela D. Williams