Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A Tribute to Courage Under Fire

Photo courtesy of Mission Park San Antonio

My dear friend Frank heroically battled an unusually treatment-resistant strain of multiple myeloma (MM) for two years. He left no stone unturned, courageously enduring multiple proven and experimental chemotherapy treatments as well as two stem cell transplants. Believers from around the globe prayed fervently. Frank was determined and resolute about beating this cancer.

Despite every effort, nothing kicked the disease into remission for very long. Finally, the MM raged out of control. When just drawing breath required Herculean effort and a massive infection had developed, Frank, ever the Colonel, took control. Avoiding a rout, he implemented strategic surrender and made the decision to stop all treatment. No more! Enough.

As I prayed for Frank that day, Luke 4:18-19 kept scrolling through my mind:

"[The Lord] has sent me
to proclaim liberty to the captives
and recovery of sight to the blind,
to set free the oppressed
and announce that the time has come
when the Lord will save his people."
Luke 4:18-19

Twenty four hours later Frank soared from this earthly life, no longer held captive, no longer oppressed by multiple myeloma. The strong, take-charge, infinitely caring USAF pilot, Colonel Frank Andreus is now striding alongside Jesus and joins Paul in saying,

“I have fought the good fight,
I have finished the race,
I have kept the faith.”
2 Timothy 4:7

I thank God for Frank’s shining example of courage under fire, determination despite the odds, and victory through faith. I will miss you, my friend.

Please keep Frank’s wife, Cheryl, and their grown children, Eric and Jen and their families, in your prayers.


love,
Pam