Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Duty or Blessing?

As I lie in the darkness at bedtime, God often illuminates truths in my life. Tonight as I drew the flannel sheet up over my shoulders, I groaned as He reminded me that once again I hadn’t read my Bible yet. I sleepily fumbled for the light switch and pulled my Bible off the shelf.

When I put off reading my Bible till the end of the day, allowing other things to crowd God’s Word out of my life, I can easily begin to see it as a duty rather than a blessing. While studying and obeying God’s Word IS a command we are to obey . . .
“Study [God’s Word] day and night,
and make sure that you obey everything written in it.”
(Joshua 1:8)

. . . it is also a source of abundant blessings:
God’s Word imparts wisdom and knowledge. (Psalm 19:8, 10)
Knowing God’s Word steers us away from sin. (Psalm 119:9)
God’s Word teaches the truth, rebukes error, corrects faults,
and gives instruction for right living. (2 Timothy 3:16)


Psalm 119 shares blessing after blessing connected with obeying God’s Word. Tonight I plan to go to bed earlier so I can be awake and teachable as I read the Scriptures. I don’t want to miss out on all those blessings!

How about you? When do you find is the best time to read your Bible? What blessing stands out to you from reading God's Word today?

©2013 Pamela D. Williams