Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Looking Forward


Why won't this ring come off this tub no matter what I scrub it with? Exhausted, I sat down on the floor and cradled my head in my hands. I just can’t do this.

New to ministry, my husband and I had just moved into our first parsonage, where we found toadstools growing around the commode, four inches of standing water in the basement, space heaters that whooshed the hair off Dick’s forearm when he lit them, and iodine-flavored water from a shallow well.

Remembering that move is kind of scary in light of the fact that Dick and I are preparing to move to our next parsonage in a couple of months.

Yet, at that same home, God laid His healing hand on me, 15 youth committed their lives to God during a retreat, four friends honed their Bible knowledge, Dick and I laughed over cups of mint tea and chocolate chip cookies while warming our feet with the leftover heat from baking, and best of all, we got to know Jesus there, after praying together that He would come into our home.

Yes, we never know what we might encounter when change is thrust upon us, but Dick and I have found that God is always, always faithful and works everything out for our good. No wonder we are excited and looking forward to what lies ahead!

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

©2013 Pamela D. Williams