Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Looking Forward

Oh no! I groaned as yet another window pane popped out, fell two stories to the ground, and splintered into a million pieces of ancient glass. I sat down on the floor and cradled my head in my hands. I just can’t do this.

New to ministry, my husband and I had just moved into our first parsonage, complete with 27 broken window panes, toadstools growing around the commode (their ideal environment created by four inches of standing water in the basement below), ring-around-the-bathtub that required sandpaper to remove, floor registers so hot they waffled the bottoms of our toddler’s shoes and whooshed the hair off Dick’s forearm when he lit them, iodine-flavored water from a shallow well, and flies so numerous we vacuumed them from the windows each day.

Remembering that move is kind of scary in light of the fact that Dick and I are preparing to move to our next parsonage in a couple of months.

Yet, at that same home, our son learned to walk and talk and got his first tooth; my grandmother and husband entertained the rest of the family by dressing up with clothing donated for a church yard sale; 15 youth committed their lives to God during a retreat; four friends honed their Bible knowledge and forged their faith during weekly discussions; Dick and I laughed over cups of mint tea and chocolate chip cookies while warming our feet with the leftover heat from baking; and best of all, we got to know Jesus there, after praying together that he would come into our home.

Yes, we never know what we might encounter when change is thrust upon us, but Dick and I have found that God is always, always faithful and works everything out for our good. No wonder we are excited and looking forward to what lies ahead!

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

©2013 Pamela D. Williams