Wednesday, April 24, 2013

What Place Should Good Works Hold?

I often give good works a bum rap. My attitude stems from living for many years under the fallacy that I had to earn my way to Heaven by doing and being "good". Then the Holy Spirit opened my eyes to the fact that nothing, no matter how good, was good enough to get me into Heaven.
Only the sacrifice of Jesus Christ was enough to wipe away all my sins and earn me the privilege of entering into God's presence pure and faultless. I didn't want anyone else to be struggling through life depending on their good works for righteousness, so my emphasis has been on God's grace.

However, good works do have their place in the life of a Christian. Titus 2:14 says,
Jesus Christ gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

Giving to those in need stems from a heart that is overflowing with gratitude for God's gift of forgiveness, freely given.  Out of our thankfulness for His mercy to us we, in turn, show mercy to others. We listening attentively to those who are burdened, knowing that God always hears the pleadings of our souls.

The important thing to remember is that we are redeemed by Jesus first and then we strive to do good because we love Him and want to please Him. Good deeds do have their place--second place, that is.

Has God called you to a specific area of ministry where He wants you to take "second place"?

Blessings!
Pam
©2013 Pamela D. Williams