Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Becoming a Star for Jesus

Image from Bing Images
NINE STEPS TO BECOMING A STAR

"Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens,
and those who lead many to righteousness,
like the stars forever and ever."
Daniel 12:3

I want to be a star. Oh, not the TV or movie kind of Hollywood star. I want to be a shining star for Jesus, like Daniel described—one who leads many to righteousness.  In order to lead others to righteousness, we need to be living a righteous life ourselves.  What does a righteous life look like?

Psalm 141 serves as a good guide:

1 I call to you, Lord; help me now! Listen to me when I call to you.
2 Receive my prayer as incense, my uplifted hands as an evening sacrifice.
3 Lord, place a guard at my mouth, a sentry at the door of my lips.
4 Keep me from wanting to do wrong and from joining evil people in their wickedness.
May I never take part in their feasts.
5 Good people may punish me and rebuke me in kindness, but I will never accept honor from evil people, because I am always praying against their evil deeds.
6 When their rulers are thrown down from rocky cliffs,
the people will admit that I speak the truth.
7 Like wood that is split and chopped into bits,
so their bones are scattered at the edge of the grave.
8 But I trust in you, my Sovereign Lord. I seek your protection; don't let me die!
9 Protect me from the traps they have set for me, from the snares of those evildoers.
10 May the wicked fall into their own traps while I go by unharmed.

In this scripture I see nine steps to becoming a star for Jesus.
  1. First and foremost we must call to God for help, for we CAN NOT live a righteous life on our own. We need His intervention in order to undertake the next eight:
  2. Offer ourselves as living sacrifices, being willing to give up what we want for the good of others.
  3. Guard what we say.
  4. Keep us from participating, or even wanting to participate, in evil doings (gossip, lying, cheating our employers, etc.)
  5. Shut our ears to flattery from ungodly people.
  6. Speak the truth.
  7. Trust the Lord.
  8. Seek His protection from temptations.
  9. Avoid the trappings of those who are not living a righteous life. 
To me it seems that in order to become a star that leads others to righteousness, we simply need to ensure that our own life shines with righteousness so others will be attracted to God’s light!

In the same way your light must shine before people,
so that they will see the good things you do
and praise your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:16


Blessings!
Pam
©2013 Pamela D. Williams