Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Never Alone

Photo courtesy of Morguefile.com
Recently I had a colonoscopy and that evening some difficulties related to the procedure cropped up. Of course, with it being after hours, I had to call the answering service and leave my number.

No one returned my call.

I called again an hour later. Still no doctor checked in with me. Dick prayed with me and thankfully, the symptoms eventually quieted somewhat and I could retreat to bed, exhausted from the stress and anxiety of the ordeal.

The next day I called the doctor’s office. The nurse reassured me that the problems I encountered, though not routine, did occasionally occur following a colonoscopy. She assured me that things were improving and asked me to go for further blood work to verify it..

Dick later pointed out to me that if the doctor had just called me back that evening, it would have put the whole scary episode into proper perspective. Just knowing someone was aware of what I was going through would have relieved my niggling anxiety.

Isn’t that true in all of life? If we have someone with us, we can handle life’s challenges. If we have someone to talk to about what we are going through, we often glean a better perception of the problem.

The truth is, we are NOT alone; we DO have Someone with us—all the time, Someone we can talk to, who understands and can help us. Even after years and years of following Jesus, in the face of great uncertainty, pain, or fear, I sometimes forget that I am never walking this life alone. I need the reminders offered in God's Word.

The Open Bible shares 66 Bible verses about God being with us. Here are just a few:

  • “The Lord your God goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6
  • Jesus said, “I am with you always.” Matthew 28:20
  • “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.” John 14:16-17
  • “Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
  • When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. Isaiah 43:2

Such comfort  is ours—and we are not even required to go rummaging around trying to find it; God’s presence is promised!

Are you feeling alone? Does it seem your only companions are fear and uncertainty? Settle in with your Bible and find the assurance God promised that He is always there to comfort and guide you. Check out the verses listed for us at God is with us.

Blessings!
Pam

©2014 Pamela D. Williams