Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Love in a Smile

Photo by Bethany Shoemaker of Kenzie Smiles Photography
The past month may have exhausted my creativity and energy, but it has increased the love in my life—not only my love for my grandchildren, but the very real assurance that I am loved.

It floods over me through a simple smile shared with my older grandson. Neither of us has to say anything at all. His smile says, “I love you, Nana. I want to be here with you.”

My smile says, “I love you, Kodey. I am so glad you are mine.”

Jesus asked us to love one another. Can that love be expressed, like Kodey’s love for me, in a simple smile? Can the minor effort of extending the muscles around our mouths into a genuine smile pass on God’s love to whomever we meet, without saying a word?

I think smiling can, especially in this hurried, preoccupied, inattentive world that we navigate each day. Give everyone you meet a simple smile, then stop back and share what happened.

“And now I give you a new commandment: love one another.
As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
If you have love for one another,
then everyone will know that you are my disciples.”
John 13: 34-35

Blessings!
Pam

©2014 Pamela D. Williams