The other day while reading a devotional on SacredSpace.ie, the Lord highlighted two little words that appear at the bottom of every page on the website’s devotionals—Move on.
These two little words speak volumes. While their placement at the bottom of each devotional page on SacredSpace is merely an aid to turning the page when ready, “move on” resounds throughout Scripture as God addresses His people:
- Isaiah 43:18-19 “Do not cling to events of the past or dwell on what happened long ago. Watch for the new thing I am going to do. It is happening already—you can see it now!”
- Matthew 16:24 “Then Jesus said to his disciples, ‘If any of you want to come with me, you must forget yourself, carry your cross, and follow me.’”
- Luke 9:62 “Jesus said to him, ‘Anyone who starts to plow and then keeps looking back is of no use for the Kingdom of God.’”
- Philippians 3:13-14 “The one thing I do, however, is to forget what is behind me and do my best to reach what is ahead.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 “Anyone who is joined to Christ is a new being; the old is gone, the new has come.”
- Hebrews 5:12, 6:1 “There has been enough time for you to be teachers—yet you still need someone to teach you the first lessons of God's message . . . Let us go forward, then, to mature teaching . . .”
- Hebrews 12:1-2 "Let us run with determination the race that lies before us. Let us keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from beginning to end."
Sometimes, I find it hard to move on. I get comfortable—in a routine, a place, a way of doing things—and resist change. However, throughout my life, God has called me to “move on”—to new places, new opportunities, new challenges, new ways of thinking—and the changes have always been good. I may not recognize the goodness for a while, but eventually I have that “Aha” moment when I put on my God-glasses and see things from His point of view.
Is God calling you to “move on” in some area of your life? What have you learned from obeying that call in the past?
And for all our UMC friends, no, this post does not mean we are moving this year! LOL!