Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Are You Thirsty?


A few months ago my husband and I visited his brother in El Paso, Texas. Located in the Chihuahuan Desert, El Paso is dry and mountainous. Water is a precious commodity that is used sparingly there and paid for dearly.

In contrast, there is water at every turn in our daughter’s home state of Minnesota. Known as the “Land of 10,000 Lakes”, Minnesota actually sports nearly 12,000 of these bodies of water. Though plentiful, water is still recognized as a valuable and protection-worthy resource.

We treasure water because it is essential to all forms of life. The human body is made up of 50-70% water. Water dissolves nutrients so they can be absorbed by the various organs. Our bodies cannot live without ingesting water.

There can be water all around us, but unless we drink it in, it does us no good. Water outside our bodies cannot sustain us.

Likewise, the soul cannot live without God. King David writes: “You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water.” (Psalm 63:1)

The problem is not that God isn’t around or isn’t enough. The problem is we fail to lift our cups to Him and allow Him to fill us with His presence. Or we try to fill our spiritual cups with the things this world offers. Matthew Henry advises, “The true Christian arises with a thirst after those comforts which the world cannot give, and has immediate recourse by prayer to the Fountain of the water of life.”

Are you spiritually thirsty? God says when we seek Him with all our heart we will find Him. (Jeremiah 29:13) SacredSpace.ie recommends contemplating God’s presence. “God is with me, but more, God is within me. Let me dwell for a moment on God's life-giving presence in my body, in my mind, in my heart, as I sit here, right now.” Fill my cup, Lord!

Blessings!
Pam

©2016 Pamela D. Williams