Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Steeped in God's Word


I LOVE a cup of hot tea in the morning, steeped long, and sweetened with honey. No pale ale-colored swill for me; no mere dip of the bag into the water once or twice. I let the tea infuse the hot water for the maximum amount of time recommended for the richest flavor. I audibly sigh with contented pleasure at each sip of this delicious brew.

Steeping long in God’s Word helps me to mature as a Christian and to live so others thirst to know Him, too. Once a week, (perhaps in church), isn’t enough. Turning to His Word only when I am in a jam doesn’t meet my day-to-day need of time spent allowing Him to infuse my soul. In order to truly quench my thirst for more of Jesus and prepare me to offer others a taste of a relationship with Him, I require daily dunking in the waters of God’s Word.

I don’t want to be a flavorless Christian, undetectable among those who don’t know Jesus. I want my faith to be rich and full-bodied, appealing to others, and sweet to the Lord.

Psalms 19 and 119 expound on the innate qualities of God’s Word that can be ours by immersing ourselves in it, and allowing it to permeate our thoughts, our words, and our actions:
To refresh the soul
To impart wisdom
To give joy to the heart
To give light to the eyes
To strengthen the weary
To broaden understanding
To prevent shameful conduct
To light the path

God’s Word is true. I have tasted and I have seen that the Lord IS good. (Psalm 34:8) His Word can sweeten a bitter day better than the best honey I have ever stirred into a cup of tea. (Psalm 119:103) And I need every word God speaks in order to counteract the lies of this world. (Matthew 4:4)

Let me steep in Your word, Lord; let me steep till all of my life is flavored with Your presence.

Be encouraged!

Pam

©2016 Pamela D. Williams