Sunday, May 7, 2017

Upholding God's Word

photo from acrookedpath.com

I apologize that this post is late. I needed time to prayerfully digest my feelings before putting my thoughts into words.

Our denomination’s Annual Conference met this week. I went as a visitor Friday and literally cried when I got home. Many discussions, both in session and out, revolved around a pivotal decision that will be made in 2019. My heart is heavy and my prayers fervent as we wait in trepidation for a pronouncement that will forever impact our 12 million members.

My hope and prayer is that those holding seats in the deciding council will vote to uphold Scripture, re-affirming that we believe God’s Word to be the clear, guiding influence, both for individuals and for the Church. And that’s not a very popular stand today.

Intense pressure to “conform to the standards of this world” (Romans 12:2) permeates even the Christian church. Society wants us to abdicate God’s directives on what is sin, so as not to offend or cause anyone to feel unwelcome. Those of us who expect the Church to stand on God’s Word are seen as unloving and judgmental.

The truth is, we aren’t the judges on what is or isn’t sin—God’s Word is. Isn’t it more loving to help a person find forgiveness of sin and new life in Christ than to allow that person to be deceived into thinking “I’m okay; You’re okay”, no matter what God’s Word says?

The decision our Church faces really has nothing to do with accepting diversity. This decision boils down to whether or not we will uphold the Word of God. Prayers appreciated!

For the Word of God is alive and active, sharper than any double-edged sword.
It penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow;
it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
(Hebrews 4:12)
 
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for
teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
(2 Timothy 3:16-17)
 
Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
(Psalm 119:105)

Blessings!
Pam

©2017 Pamela D. Williams