Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Family


“That little girl looks so much like my great-niece, Kenzie,” I thought to myself as a little blonde cutie sidled into the row in front of me at church. When she climbed up on the pew and turned around to face me, I realized it actually was her and blurted out, “Why, Kenzie! What are you doing here? How did you get here?” 

 She reached out her little four-year-old arms for me to pick her up and then pointed across the church to her mom, dad, and Nanny. What a delightful surprise! During the time of greeting, she and I joined the rest of her family. I felt like doing a little happy dance!

Most of you are aware that Dick and I moved in June. For the first time in over 40 years we are within 25 miles of where we both grew up. My mom, my siblings, my aunt, and a myriad of my cousins (my dad had 10 siblings), as well as quite a few of Dick’s cousins still live near our hometown. The last three Sunday mornings we have found relatives sitting in the pews. We have had various family members over for meals and have enjoyed three family picnics in the last six weeks! I am very happy to be able to get together with all these loved ones after so many years.

But physical family isn’t the only blessing God showered on us by bringing us to Lewistown. Our church family, Grace UMC, has welcomed us with open arms. Though we have been here only a short time, we have found many kindred spirits. Each gathering, whether large or small, is filled with laughter, love, and a sense of belonging. People are open, down-to-earth, and filled with love for God and one another. Just as we can follow our physical family connections back to a common ancestor, it is evident that we share a common ancestry with our Christian brothers and sisters at Grace UMC—a bloodline that leads back to the blood of Jesus Christ, the Savior and Lord of us all.

Dick and I feel like we have come “home” in so many ways.

God knew what Dick and I needed—and He knows your needs, too. (Matthew 6:8) We are so thankful for His plans that far exceeded our own. (Proverbs 16:9) We can always trust Him to bring about what is best. (Jeremiah 29:13).

Be encouraged!
Pam

©2018 Pamela D. Williams