Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Hot Tempers


“If we’re going to ‘discuss’ this issue when Erin gets home, we better put the windows down,” my husband said, only half teasing. When our daughter’s quick temper ramped up, her volume often raised accordingly.

It doesn’t take long for a disagreement with someone who has a short fuse to spiral into an argument. Hot-tempered people tend to jump to conclusions, rush to have their say, and don’t consider the consequences of their words or actions.

Do you have a hot-tempered person in your life? Could you use a little help in dealing with them? Here are three tips I have found to help me keep my cool:

LISTEN RATHER THAN REACT. Proverbs 15:8 says, “Hot tempers cause arguments, but patience brings peace.” Sometimes I am so caught up in trying to get a word in edgewise, I don’t really hear the person. Intentionally and tolerantly giving my attention can prevent arguments from escalating.

ZIP THE LIP. It is very tempting to counter thoughtless, hostile behavior with an equally hasty and negative response. So, when an encounter heats up, I try to swallow my words and remain silent. (Though I am not always successful.) “After all, even fools may be thought wise and intelligent if they stay quiet and keep their mouths shut." (Proverbs 17:28).

CALL FOR A TIME OUT. Very often a short-tempered person will go from aggravation over minor irritants to bigger issues that somehow end up being the other person’s fault. At such times, it is easy to get into an argument. However, I have discovered it is best to call for a time out, explaining that, although we need to try to understand each other’s concerns, we both need to be in a calmer frame of mind to be able to do that. “The start of an argument is like the first break in a dam; stop it before it goes any further.” (Proverbs 17:14)

Though not easy to implement, these simple suggestions, along with the intervention of the Holy Spirit, have helped me to deal with hot-tempered people in a more Christ-like way. Thank God for the power of prayer!

Be encouraged!

Pam

©2018 Pamela D. Williams