Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Worrywarts


What is a “worrywart”? There has long been an erroneous belief that warts are caused by worry and stress. A worrywart is someone who worries needlessly, often without justifiable reasons. Been there; done that.

Worry plagues many of us—overwhelming us one moment and manageable the next. Some years ago, I decided to look at what the Bible has to say about worry. Worry is not a new problem. In Psalm 55 David admits, “I am worn out by my worries.” Isn’t that so true? Worry is exhausting!

Luke 10:38-42 tells of a time Jesus visited Mary and Martha. Wrapped up in housework and cooking, Martha wants everything to be just right for Jesus. I can relate to that! Don’t we do the very same things when company comes to our house?

I remember when our church invited a gospel group to sing at both the morning and evening Sunday services. Members were asked to host the various singers during the hours between the services. My husband Dick and I volunteered and the day before their arrival I vacuumed, dusted, organized and scrubbed. I nagged my husband and children to keep it tidied up.

That Sunday during church, I mentally went over my “to do” list for the noon meal. I rushed home after the benediction and frantically added last minute touches to the meal.

However, between laughing and talking, we were barely aware of what we were eating. Afterwards, Dick took the guys for a walk in the woods. Hours later they tracked through the living room with mud on their shoes, oblivious to my nice clean carpet.

I worried and nagged for nothing! I lost out on a good message at church, ran myself ragged, and no one even peeked into my nice clean bathroom or cared what we ate for lunch! I certainly didn’t get revived, I exhausted myself! Like Martha, my priorities were misplaced.

Martha got all worked up cooking and cleaning, when all Jesus really wanted was her devotion to Him. He pointed out that her priorities were wrong: “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:41-42)

How do we overcome worry? Mary and Martha reveal the first step: 1) Look to Jesus to find out what is really important.

Steps two and three are found in Philippians 4:6-7. 2) Pray: Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need.

And 3) Give thanks to God for all he has done. Instead of going over and over a problem, list what we are thankful for. Then God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand, will guard our hearts and minds as we live in Christ Jesus.

Be encouraged!
Pam

©2018 Pamela D. Williams