Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Peeled and Pared


An apple tree stood in the backyard of our last home. Its gnarled branches yielded a few poorly developed apples every year, mostly enjoyed by squirrels, groundhogs, and deer. The fruit was misshapen and wormy, but, during better years, we were able to gather enough to make a batch or two of apple dumplings.

I remember peeling and coring those apples. There were many bad spots that needed gouged out before they could be sliced. But the sweet, yummy dessert created from those apples was worth the effort.

As I think about preparing those bumpy, blemished apples, I am reminded of the work God must do in me to ready me to be used by Him. I am more imperfect than any of the apples from that tree. How does God strip off my flawed pretenses and dig out my hidden sins?

Challenges peel back the “righteous” façade covering my weaknesses so God can refine me for His purposes. Trials carve away the sinful nature lurking in my soul, making me more like Jesus. Philippians 1:6 says that God, who began the good work within us, will continue His work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

Paul tells us that trials develop godly character: "We can rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. “(Romans 5:3-4)

What has God used to refine the core of your being? Maybe it has been difficulties in a relationship, a tough decision that needs to be made, problems at work, a health challenge, or a financial crisis. What frailties or wrongdoings has God sliced away by allowing these trials? Could it be dependence on others instead of Him, the need to be in control, or putting self-serving desires ahead of His will?

What good work might He be preparing you to do?

Be encouraged!
Pam

©2019 Pamela D. Williams
Comments welcome via Facebook or email (writepam71@gmail.com).