Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Life in Community


No matter how independent we think we are, there are times in everyone’s life when they need others. On Monday we lost power due to high winds toppling several pine trees in the neighborhood, taking out the electric lines. We didn’t mention it to anyone, thinking the electric company would be on it pretty quick. We could tough it out—kind of like camping.

By Tuesday afternoon, the temperature in our house had dropped to below 50 degrees. Thankfully, we have two fireplaces. Unfortunately, the heat from the gas one simply went up the chimney, and we didn’t have wood to burn in the traditional fireplace. So, I called a friend from church to ask if they had any wood to spare. Within 20 minutes they were at our home with a load of firewood and brought a second load latter that day. Then they took us to supper!

God’s Word reveals that He knows we need one another. “Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up” (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10).

That truth applies to faith also. Lysa TerKeurst said it well: “God created us to do life in a community of believers where we can go stand on someone else’s faith when our own gets shaky.”

I have seen it proven in my own life. I remember distinctly feeling too tired to pull my thoughts together even to pray. The chemotherapy that destroys cancer cells also sapped the energy right out of me. But I closed my eyes in peaceful sleep knowing that there were others who had promised to pray and were “standing in the gap” (Ezekiel 22:30) in my devotional life. Just as Lysa said, I needed my community of believers.

God’s Word tells us to be “concerned for one another, to help one another to show love and to do good.” God knows the importance of kinship. “Let us not give up the habit of meeting together, as some are doing. Instead, let us encourage one another all the more, since you see that the Day of the Lord is coming nearer.” (Hebrews 10:24-25)

Whether it is for prayer, for a listening ear, for a better understanding of Scripture, or for a load of wood on a winter day, we all need a helping hand from time to time. I am so thankful to Jesus for those He has placed in my life who take God’s Word literally and have been my community of faith.

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up …” (1 Thessalonians 5:11)

Be encouraged!
Pam

©2019 Pamela D. Williams
Comments welcome via Facebook or email (writepam71@gmail.com).