Wednesday, June 5, 2019

House or Home?



Forty-three years ago, this month, Dick and I moved into our first parsonage. It was a memorable occasion . . .

“Oh no!” I groaned as yet another window pane popped out and fell two stories to the ground, splintering into a million pieces of ancient glass. I sat down on the floor and cradled my head in my hands. Tears spilled down my cheeks. I just can’t do this.

Brand new to pastoral ministry, we were unprepared for replacing 27 broken window panes, catching 14 mice in a week, and pulling only tattered shreds of the curtains from the washer. I never dreamed floor registers could be so hot they waffled the soles of your shoes! And who, besides Moses and Pharaoh, would have envisioned flies so numerous they had to be vacuumed from the bedroom windows each day?

Like the glass plummeting from the second floor, my visions of a cozy home with crisp white curtains fluttering at the sparkling windows shattered right before my eyes. “Can we please just call the moving company and tell them not to unpack our stuff?” I pleaded with Dick.

“Pam, you know we can’t do that,” Dick answered. “The house goes with the job. We just have to make the best of it.”

And we did! Over the years that followed, Dick and I learned firsthand that the words of Helen Rowland ring true: “Home is any four walls that enclose the right person.”

This week Dick and I celebrate 45 years of marriage. In each of the 13 moves we have made during that time, what morphs glass, brick, mortar and wood into a “home” is the presence of each other and the life we share with family and friends within those walls.

At our first parsonage, where I had despondently prepared for the movers to arrive with our belongings, our son took his first steps, sprouted his first tooth, and learned to sign “More candy, please,” from the hands of a young man who was deaf. Best of all, we forged the foundations of our faith during weekly discussions of spiritual beliefs with other believers who gathered in our home to study scriptures.

Over the years we have created a home for 19 foster children, hosted umpteen annual family Christmas parties, tended to one another following surgeries and illnesses, worsted the teen years, and celebrated milestones. It is this caring, sharing, loving, learning, rejoicing and weeping with family and friends that carves “Our Home” on the lintel of a house.

Be encouraged!
Pam

©2019 Pamela D. Williams

Comments welcome via Facebook
or email (writepam71@gmail.com).