Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Messages in Marble


Dick’s brother spent the past week with us. He was here from Texas on a mission—to spread his wife’s ashes on her family’s farm. He also visited her siblings, spending difficult but healing time reminiscing and remembering Kate.

As Hebrews 13:7 instructs, “Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith.”

For some, visiting the cemetery is a way to remember those who have gone before. However, cemeteries offer more. As the fictional character Henrietta “Hetty” Lange, of the TV show NCIS: Los Angeles, once said, “A walk through the cemetery clears my mind . . . puts everything in perspective.”

I would have to agree. Cemeteries offer an oasis of quietude where I find I can re-connect with God and gain insight into life. I’m not the only one. A writer friend, Virginia reflects, “For me, I 'hear' a lot when I walk through a cemetery--not the moans of ghosts, but the whispers of the Holy Spirit.”

How does God speak in the cemetery? As I linger on a cool, cement bench, a slight, almost imperceptible breeze bears the fragrance of crushed pine needles, freshly-mown grass, recent rain, or fallen leaves. God uses these scents to remind me there is beauty and refreshment not only in the soft smell of a newborn but also in my sun-spotted, wrinkle-creamed cheek of over six decades.

God opens my eyes to the subtle signs of life that surround me--a squirrel gnaws a nut; crows take turns cawing warnings from their sentinel post on a large tombstone; locusts and crickets drone their singsongs.

God nudges me to take note of my fellow visitors to the cemetery--walkers, joggers, and cyclists. Mothers push their babies in strollers. A car wends slowly along the narrow roads, their occupants seeking a certain spot where they have a heart-connection. Family members perform labors of love, spouses pay tearful tribute to lost soul mates, and friends pause in remembrance.

Even in this place designated for those who have passed, there is life. God inspires me to ask, “Am I really living—consciously connecting with others, actively engaging in life instead of merely passing through?

The monuments themselves speak volumes. Cold marble slabs inscribed with names, dates, scriptures, prayers, proverbs, dedications, proclamations, poems, and military records reveal identities, authenticate relationships, relate tragedies, express sorrows, and witness of faith in God. I am prompted to ask myself, “Do my thoughts, words, and actions express love, gratitude, and faith?”

Want to try something different? Visit a cemetery. Sit on a bench and reflect. Look around and look within. Listen with an attentive heart. Do you sense God’s presence? Can you hear His voice? What is He asking of you? Whom does he want you to remember and learn from?

Be encouraged!
Pam

©2019 Pamela D. Williams
writepam71@gmail.com