Wednesday, May 25, 2022

3G




3G. It was a common term for years when talking about the mobile communications standard that allows mobile phones, computers, and other portable electronic devices to access the internet wirelessly. Every few years it gets an upgrade—4G, 5G, etc. But that’s not the 3G I am writing about.

As I was reading Psalm 141, I noticed a different kind of 3G. Verses 3-4 say, “Lord, place a guard at my mouth, a sentry at the door of my lips. Keep me from wanting to do wrong. Keep me from joining evil people in their wickedness. May I never take part in their feasts.”

Guard my words. “Place a guard at my mouth, a sentry at the door of my lips.” Many times, I have agonized over how to say some difficult thing, how to answer a hard question, how to respond to anger and hurt. I want to say the right thing, but James 3 warns us “no one has ever been able to tame the tongue. It is evil and uncontrollable, full of deadly poison.” We all need the Holy Spirit to take control, to help us to “not use harmful words, but only helpful words, the kind that build up and provide what is needed, so that what we say will do good to those who hear us.” (Ephesians 4:29}

Govern my thoughts. “Keep me from wanting to do wrong.” Most of us realize that our minds are powerful; our thoughts are the catalyst for our words and actions. Scripture agrees: “As someone thinks within himself, so he is.” (Proverbs 23:7) In Romans 12:2 we are instructed to, “let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.” How can God alter how we think, govern our thought processes? Psalm 46:10 tells us to be still and know that He is God. Philippians 4:8 recommends we fill our minds with those things that are good and that deserve praise: things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and honorable.

Guide my steps. “Keep me from joining evil people in their wickedness. May I never take part in their feasts.” I often ask God what He wants me to do. What action should I take? Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” When I am still and remind myself that God alone is God (not me), then the Lord can guide me in the way I should go. (Psalm 37:23)

3G? It’s not just a mobile communications term! It’s the key to living life guarded, governed, and guided by God. It’s the fastest, most powerful connection around! It’s available everywhere and never shuts down!

Be encouraged!


©2022 Pamela D. Williams