Wednesday, June 1, 2022

A Lesson from Leviticus

Does the book of Leviticus seem rather irrelevant? I admit, I usually skim its chapters. However, this time, I focused on the verbs used, rather than the details—do, obey, remember, honor, plant, set apart, restore—these, and many more, call us to action. Leviticus 25 says to care for fellow believers in need. As I thought on these verses, God reminded me of someone I met at a church in Hawaii who took seriously the command to help.

Slipping into the pew beside me, the white-haired lady whispered, “Could you pass the attendance book please?” After signing, she said, “I’m Doris Scharpf. I see you are visiting from Pennsylvania. Welcome!”

Following the worship service, we chatted a while and I learned that her husband had passed on and her family lived on the mainland. When we asked Doris to join us for lunch, she declined, but gave us her address and said, “Please, drop by afterward. There is a great place to snorkel right off my back porch. I have lots of equipment.”

Though we didn’t snorkel, we stopped in to thank her for her warm welcome. She greeted us like old friends, inviting us inside. As we talked, I asked, “Doris, what do you do to keep busy?”

With a bit of an embarrassed chuckle, she said, “Well, I’m a philanthropist. My husband bought stock in a friend’s company when it first started up. It turned out to be a very lucrative investment. Perhaps you’ve heard of it?” and named a vastly successful sporting goods brand.

In her faded t-shirt and frayed shorts, Doris didn’t fit the stereotype of a wealthy widow. Humbled by God’s blessings on her, she gave Him all the credit and wondered in amazement at the privilege of being a blessing to others. “I spend a lot of time researching charities to support,” Doris shared. “I always like to consult God about such things. We’re partners, you know. Can I tell you a story about how God worked through one of my contributions?”

A hospital administrator approached Doris about a donation. As they talked, she noticed he was overweight. Surprised by her audacity, Doris asked, “How much weight do you need to lose?”

Sputtering a bit, he admitted about 50 pounds. Feeling God’s nudge, Doris said, “I will give the hospital $1,000,000 if you lose the weight. After the first 15 pounds, I will give $333,000. I will do the same with the next 15 and I will give you the remainder when you lose the last 20.”

He agreed, promising to see his doctor first. During routine tests, his physician discovered cancer. Caught in its early stages, the disease was quite treatable.

“I think God brought this request to me, not just to help the hospital, but because this fellow needed to see his doctor so the cancer could be detected. Isn’t it wonderful how God has everything in His control? I’m just so thankful that He lets me play a part in His plan!”

Doris received much in her life. However, her greatest blessing was helping others, just as God instructs us in Leviticus. She lived the concept of, “Blessed to be a blessing.”

Be encouraged!


©2022 Pamela D. Williams