Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Praying in Faith


I absolutely LOVE to read. I find that Christian fiction books encourage me on my walk with Jesus. God shares many pithy truths through the characters and plots of talented Christian writers.

As I read Luana Ehrlich’s book, Two Believe, I was struck by the bald truth that one of her characters brings to light. Silas has shared his faith with Ashley, his co-worker who admits she doesn’t believe. However, their conversations give her a lot to think about and she decides to follow Sila’s advice to read the book of Luke. He promises to pray for her.

As a result of what she reads, Ashley becomes a believer. When she comes to tell Silas about her new relationship with Jesus, he is rather shocked and says, “Congratulations, Ashley. I think I am a little speechless.”

“Yes, I can tell. You look pretty surprised. You must not have had much faith in those prayers you were praying for me,” Ashley replies with a laugh.

Silas realizes she is joking but admits there might be some truth in her statement.

If I am honest, that is sometimes true for me, as well. I pray about things and hope God will answer the way I want Him to, but deep down I wonder if He will. James 1:6-7 says, “When you ask for something, don't have any doubts. A person who has doubts is like a wave that is blown by the wind and tossed by the sea. A person who has doubts shouldn't expect to receive anything from the Lord.”

What should we do then? Marilee Dunker, in her World Vision article, “8 keys to a more powerful prayer life”, gives us some good suggestions for increasing our faith in prayer. In short, Marilee says, “Know to whom you are speaking. Thank Him. Ask for God's will. Say what you need. Ask for forgiveness. Pray with a friend. Pray God’s Word. Memorize Scripture.”

All great suggestions superseded by the praying the prayer of the man whose son was deaf and mute--“I do have faith! Please help me to have even more.” (Mark 9:24)

Be encouraged!

©2024 Pamela D. Williams.

Comments welcome at writepam71@gmail.com