Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Life-Changing Conversation


From the time I was a child, my life revolved around the church. I tried to be good, and enjoyed helping others. I believed in God. I knew that a long time ago Jesus had lived and died, but He was more like an historical figure from the pages of a dusty old book than someone I could know today. I just tried my best to please God and hoped I was earning my way to heaven.

It wasn’t until a conversation with a friend and his wife that I began to understand it is ONLY by "Christ's sacrificial death on the cross are we put right with God." (Romans 5:8 TEV). I had never realized my need to personally believe Jesus died to forgive MY sins. (Romans 3:25 TEV)


The Sunday after that conversation, I walked to the altar at the end of the church service and had another little conversation—this time with Jesus. What a wonderful sense of relief washed over me to know for sure that "it is by God's grace that we are saved, not the results of our own efforts." (Eph. 2: 8-9 TEV).

 

How did you become a Christian? Are you unsure of your answer? Would you like to settle the question once and for all? God’s Word shows us the steps to becoming a true follower of Jesus.

Admit you have sinned and are spiritually far away from God. Most of us will readily agree that we have done things we know we shouldn’t have and have failed to do what we know we should. (Romans 3:23)

Believe that Jesus died on the cross as punishment for your sins. Despite our failures and shortcomings, Jesus loves us and gave his life for ours. (Romans 5:8)

Ask God for forgiveness and receive the peace for which Jesus paid the price. (1 John 1:9) We can be friends with God! (Romans 5:10)

 

Have you placed your trust in Jesus’ sacrifice? Do you have the peace of knowing God’s forgiveness? If not, talk with Jesus about it. Begin with a simple admission of your need and you will end with a peace that passes all understanding.

 

As a reminder to myself, I wrote down the date in my Bible that I trusted in Jesus for my salvation. Now, when doubts arise, as they do for everyone, I have written assurance that I belong to Jesus. You can have that assurance, too!


Be encouraged!


©2024 Pamela D. Williams.
Comments welcome at writepam71@gmail.com